🤔 Yes, this still does happen and we wonder why we are losing talent.
I was at my local coffee shop when a Customer asked the cashier behind the counter for a paper cup to pour out her Pepsi from the bottle.
After giving her the cup, the Manager ripped the cashier a new one stating that the cup cost 10 cents and that she just lost the company money.
You can see that this Cashier was new to her job and never heard of something like this in her life.
The natural tears started to flow and everyone inline felt embarrassed for her.
🧐 I now had two choices,
1. To talk to the Cashier.
2. To talk to the Manager.
I chose number one as the second choice would have just brought on a confrontation that I would not win and I did not have the energy to have a conversation with someone who thought they were right.
As I spoke to the cashier, I first thanked her for the job that she is doing and second that what just happened was not personal.
As there was a lineup behind me, there was not much more that I could say or could do.
She continued on with tear streaks.
🤲 Please, please, please as a Leader, Manager, Coach or whatever the flavour of the month your title is, NEVER chewout an Employee in front of your Customers.
👉 If this is an immediate concern and needs to be handled as such then:
1. Breathe and control your thoughts.
2. Please take them off the floor to review the matter at hand.
3. Ask them what they think they did.
4. Calm down and talk to them in a levelled voice and review what just transpired.
5. Demonstrate what should have been done and ask them to repeat what they just saw.
6. Apologize for your actions and how you handled this situation.
7. Thank them for their time and walk with them back to the floor.
8. Make a note in their file for future reference and / or evaluation time.
If none of the above is done:
👉 It shows a lack of Leadership.
👉🏼 It shows a lack of inner control
👉🏾 It also reflects on the Ownership and their ability to manage their own location.
I did come back the next day, and she thanked me for our little chit-chat and left me with a smile.
🤠 Let’s all reflect back and remember that we were all in the same position at one time in our Career 😀.
🙏🙏🏽🙏🏼 𝗣𝘀: 𝗜𝗳 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝘀𝗲𝗲 𝗮 ☕ 𝗖𝗼𝗳𝗳𝗲𝗲 𝗖𝘂𝗽 𝗶𝗰𝗼𝗻 𝗼𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝗽𝗮𝗴𝗲, 𝗽𝗹𝗲𝗮𝘀𝗲 𝗱𝗼𝗻’𝘁 𝗯𝗲 𝗮𝗳𝗿𝗮𝗶𝗱 𝘁𝗼 𝗰𝗹𝗶𝗰𝗸 𝗼𝗻 𝗶𝘁 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗕𝘂𝘆 𝗠𝗲 𝗮 𝗖𝗼𝗳𝗳𝗲𝗲 𝗮𝘀 𝗶𝘁 𝘀𝘂𝗽𝗽𝗼𝗿𝘁𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗳𝗼𝘂𝗻𝗱𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻 𝗼𝗳 𝘄𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗜 𝗱𝗼 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗯𝗼𝘁𝗵 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗥𝗲𝗻𝗲𝗴𝗮𝗱𝗲 𝗦𝗶𝘁𝗲𝘀.
Have a PHENOMENAL 🤩 Day.