Are you REALLY Bragging that you work more than 50 hours a week? What’s even more surprising and disheartening is that Management continue to support this practice, close a blind eye and continues to let it happen.
Whatever happened to the “Worklife Balance”; “We care for our Teams” or “We need our Teams to be healthy and happy” posted Mission Statements. I guess they have gone by the wayside because they are no longer visible due to being under an inch of dust in your break room.
Store, District, Regional Managers, if you are working more hours than you believe you should be; please sit down, grab a coffee and ask yourselves why.
Write down what you do during the day and see if there is anything you can arrange, eliminate, delegate or just stop doing if it doesn’t bring you a return on your investment.
Some other simple tidbits (no not Timbits for the Canadians):
- Schedule times to look at your email. It should be no more than 3 times a day (Start of Shift, Middle and 30 minutes before the End).
- Don’t be afraid to Schedule or Block times that you cannot be disturbed. This is your time to Focus.
- Post your schedule so others can see when you are Available. Schedule appointments.
- Yes, you are allowed to take a break to eat. This is very important is will allow you to decompress. Read a book, listen to music, or even practice the Lambada.
- Make sure your schedule includes “FLEXTIME” to be able to take on those unforseen opportunities…which never happen. Wink Wink Nudge Nudge.
- Take 10 minutes at the end of the day to Clean your Desk. There is nothing more satisfying then starting the day with a clean desk.
- Do not respond to Work Email once you leave. This does not only Mentally Drain you but sets up the Expectation to others that you are always available. My rule is simple: Call me after hours if it’s an Emergency. Otherwise it can wait for tomorrow.
- Never be afraid to say No if you are not able to be at a meeting or complete a task. …..but I would advise to try to make the time if possible.
Or better yet, please do yourself and your Family a favour, ASK your support Teams for HELP, as it is a sign of Self Awareness and Strength.
A Manager who is healthy in mind and body is an amazing act to watch and will deliver more in a 40 hour work week than one that works 50+ hours.
“An institution is the lengthened shadow of one person.”
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Have a PHENOMENAL day.