Is it me you’re looking for? I can see it in your eyes, I can see it in your smile, You’re all I’ve ever wanted, And my arms are open wide, ’cause you know just what to say, And you know just what to do, And I want to tell you so much
I love you – Lionel Ritchie
Good Morning World! Does the above sound familiar when hiring in Retail? Did you just end up hiring a SUPERSTAR and they turned out to be a George Costanza? Well now……….
Let me guess as to why you think this could have NEVER happened to you.
- Even though you are the Store Manager, you sent your BRAND NEW Assistant Manager to perform the interview without EVER VALIDATING if they are capable of even having a generic conversation with a Customer. ” Hey what could go wrong, this is ONLY the future Team of my Store…….ahhhhhh who needs a Bonus this Year anyways”.
- The interview was performed in a NICE and DISTRACTION free corner of the Starbucks during the Lunch Rush. ” Hey, I offered him a coffee and he thanked me….he is so polite and a perfect fit”.
- You followed the Corporate Interview Script exactly without straying from it…..even though the interview started at 1pm in the afternoon and it is now 7pm in the evening. Hey, at least you didn’t bore your Candidate with the SAME GENERIC QUESTIONS they have answered before.
- The Candidate has never worked in the Field you are hiring for “……but they are sooooo nice…like totally nice. They even have References that will tell you so…….including 3 CEO of his Former Company .
- They know sooooooo much about your Company, “WOW…WOW…WOW. They are invested in us already. What could go wrong. Look, they came to the Job in a Business Suit for the position of the Department Manager (insight: we only wear jeans and a Tshirt) ….that means they are Mature and Hip to the New Generation..doesnt it?”
- They dont mind accepting a Salary that is 50% LOWER than their PREVIOUS JOB. “That is SO COOL that they are willing to do that……since THEY WILL ONLY be supporting there Family of 9 Children, both there Parents and there local Community of Lucha Wrestlers on this Salary. I GOTTA HIRE HIM….so I can save Money on Botton Line and be given a High Five from my Boss……..EVEN THOUGH MY TURNOVER IS THE HIGHEST IN THE COUNTRY.”
- They can WORK EVERY weekend GUARANTEED. “Just what we needed to fill the vacancy, perfect timing. I cant believe we found this Candidate. There is NO NEED to have them fill out an Availability Schedule, I trust him…….he is wearing a Suit.
- PERFECT TIMING! ” We just lost 4 of our Employees due to ……..well I dont exactly know…..but this Candidate walked in and we need someone RIGHT AWAY! The GODS are watching out for me……” Yip they are ….the GODS of Vengace who are waiting to strike you down for that STRESS HIRE who is going to turn YOUR WORLD UPSIDE DOWN.”
- There Resume is Flawless. ” It is formatted SOOOO nicely, this Candidate is SOOOO connected, this Candidate has won SOOOO many awards. This Candidate is THE ONE, I cant let him go otherwise someone else will hire him….Even though he has been Job Hunting for the last 2 Years”
At the End of it all, there is NO PERFECT Formula for attracting or hiring the Perfect Candidate.
The secret to my Success has been simple for Attracting and Retaining the right Candidates. (Transparency Statement : I am in no way batting at 100% but have had success by doing the following (or not))
- Grab a Coffee with the Candidate and get to know them as a Human and not just a Potential Employee.
- Do a GEORGE COSTANZA on the above:
Jerry : If every instinct you have is wrong, then the opposite would have to be right.
George : Yes, I will do the opposite. I used to sit here and do nothing, and regret it for the rest of the day, so now I will do the opposite, and I will do
#Thatisall #Retail #Manager #Manager #Coach #Employee #Behaviour #Motivation